[ILUG-BOM] Iptables Query

Rony gnulinuxist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:18:32 IST 2009

steve wrote:

> So as far as the filter table is concerned, in this context, there isn't any
> difference between your 'home' network and the 'world' network. The rule will
> just be matched against the networks mentioned in the rules. Think about it a
> bit. Your rules might even mention a src/dest addresses on networks that none of
> your interfaces are even part of.
>
> Mentioning an action in the INPUT chain simply means that the packet would be
> examined when received and filtered accordingly.

So there is no input point and output point. The setup that I will have
is a box with 2 ethernet ports, one connected to the MTNL router and the
other to the LAN. How will the firewall recognize the inbound/outbound
traffic directions as it is inbound for one interface and outbound for
the other and vice versa. In a GUI firewall I remember it asking which
is the local device and which is on the internet. Will I have to make
all rules based on each ethernet device as well as ip addresses to let
iptables know direction?

Rony.

GNU/Linux !
No Viruses