[ILUG-BOM] Ext3 Issues

Kussh Singh kussh.singh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:23:42 IST 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Rony <gnulinuxist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Suddenly one day I got ext3 errors while booting and the 2
> ext3 partitions would not mount. Both had bad superblocks. One partition
> with important data could be recovered using e2fsck but the other had a
> very bad superblock so I finally formatted it again with ext3. The
> primary NTFS partition was ok all the time. What are the possible causes
> for this sudden busting of superblocks? The bad blocks check did not
> reveal any bad blocks so that part was ok.
>
> What make and model of hard drive? Sometimes some series are faulty--
dealers know about this and have to replace/recall such items

Could also be a faulty power supply--output should be within +- 5% of
rating. (intex power supplies though getting cheaper are also lowering the
quality)
OR
the pci card may have become loose leading to voltage/current fluctuation
and therefore to data corruption
OR
the connectors may be loose leading to inconsistency/corruption of the
superblocks
OR
a virus entered from the windows partition while windows was booted
OR
a bug in the kernel used if a developmental model kernel
OR
a hardware problem randomly occuring due to kinks in the electric supply

I thought the new linuxes were now using the more modern and better ext4
FileSystems.

Maybe a checklist to eliminate the causes one by one.

My 2 cents.
Kussh