[ILUG-BOM] Ext3 Issues

Rony gnulinuxist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 20:16:11 IST 2009

Kussh Singh wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Rony <gnulinuxist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Suddenly one day I got ext3 errors while booting and the 2
>> ext3 partitions would not mount. Both had bad superblocks. One partition
>> with important data could be recovered using e2fsck but the other had a
>> very bad superblock so I finally formatted it again with ext3. The
>> primary NTFS partition was ok all the time. What are the possible causes
>> for this sudden busting of superblocks? The bad blocks check did not
>> reveal any bad blocks so that part was ok.
>>
>> What make and model of hard drive? Sometimes some series are faulty--
>>
> dealers know about this and have to replace/recall such items

Mostly in faulty drives the first partition is the one that generally
goes bust.

> Could also be a faulty power supply--output should be within +- 5% of
> rating. (intex power supplies though getting cheaper are also lowering the
> quality)
> OR
> the pci card may have become loose leading to voltage/current fluctuation
> and therefore to data corruption
> OR
> the connectors may be loose leading to inconsistency/corruption of the
> superblocks

I suspected the pci card but it was ok. Now it is another one anyway.
Cables are new.

> OR
> a virus entered from the windows partition while windows was booted
> OR

Windows cannot recognize ext3 partitions, though I must add it does see
the partition as some unknown one.

> a bug in the kernel used if a developmental model kernel
> OR
> a hardware problem randomly occuring due to kinks in the electric supply

PSU may be suspect as it is now 7 years old but otherwise the system is
working fine. Only my 17" CRT monitor is going disco ;-) every time I
put it on. It keeps changing different colours, goes blank, negative,
and after a warmup its ok. I have not had the time to call my monitor guy.

> I thought the new linuxes were now using the more modern and better ext4
> FileSystems.

Hmm.

> Maybe a checklist to eliminate the causes one by one.

Thanks for your inputs. I hope I don't get this problem again.

Rony.

GNU/Linux !
No Viruses
No Spyware