[ILUG-BOM] CA offers to test GNUKhata

jtd jtd at mtnl.net.in
Mon Jan 4 14:00:22 IST 2010

<lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

> > chatter

> > > +3, even if a large part of the chatter is created by me.....
> > > My appologies to Suhit for diverting the attention from his
> > > efforts
> >
> > saswata - you have hugely misunderstood this thread. We are not
> > interested in
> > *testing* software. We are interested in *creating* software. For
> > this  we need three people:
> > 1. a CA
> > 2. a merchant
> > 3. a coder
> >

> So what is the synopsis? What is the final outcome of this
>discussion?
>
> KK, is there a windows version going to be available anytime sooner
> or later?

IMVVHO unless you have a client server architecture, with the server +
database on linux, you are going to wind up running a losing race.

As a business if you need the doze user, you have to separate your
support cost from the doze support hassle and cost. Since accounts is
a core function in any business you are going to get called everytime
doze screws up.
The cost of hardware is negligible even for the SME / CA office. Once
the linux box is up your support costs are near zero.

IMO supporting an exe on a doze box is suicide. Doubly so in this
case, since you will have several platforms to maintain (XP,
MS2000 /2003 / 200? /VIsta /XP /??).
Even providing a client exe is going to be nightmare never mind db +
app.

BTW i practice this. And it works like a charm. And every now and then
my box will be the only thing working smoothly while the rest of the
systems undergo their periodic brain surgeries. And inevitably
customers start asking about how to get rid of doze.

--
Rgds
JTD