[ILUG-BOM] CA offers to test GNUKhata

jtd jtd at mtnl.net.in
Tue Jan 5 13:24:51 IST 2010

On Tuesday 05 January 2010 10:32:19 Rony wrote:
> Mehul Ved wrote:
> > All-in-one installers are good for quick and easy trial of the
> > software but when you go to production you should not be using
> > them. When moving to production, you should be using the release
> > provided by the vendors/distibutions separately so the
> > administrator can update each component as and when needed
> > instead of waiting for gnukhata team to release updates that fix
> > vulnerabilities in the other components.
>
> Just curious to know if the separate packages can be installed
> using a single batch script.

Very much so. Infact as both my and Mehul's mail imply it is a trivial
exercise.
Also the point i am belabouring is that it does not make business
sense to have your core software running on doze. Having the client
side cross compatible (ideally browser based) is the right way.

Trying to get the user hooked by providing a full doze setup is imo
the worst method, simply because it will work only as reliably as
Tally / whatever. I have had innumerable microserfs telling me that
their machine started malfunctioning when they setup their machines
for dual boot. Of course this is rubbish (unless there is
insufficient freespace for doze - according to the dozeexperts xp
requires huge amount of free disk space, 8 times the ram size).

Also when we say "server" we mean a host machine. For a 4 user setup
the "server" (headless, no raid, ie a stock lowcost box) would cost
8k. If that is not affordable, i doubt you could do business with the
customer.

--
Rgds
JTD