[ILUG-BOM] CA offers to test GNUKhata

Rony gnulinuxist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 18:47:44 IST 2010

Saswata Banerjee & Associates wrote:

>>> Wait until your database ballons with records 2 years down the line.
>>> Especially when you have higher hits. The solution most gleefully
>>> suggested by the vendor / consultant is bigger iron.
>>>

>> I've seen records upto 6-7 years in Tally.
>>

> The trick in tally is different.
> In order to prevent accidental modification of previous year data, the
> tally data is split into different years.
> After audit and finalisation, the previous year's tally data is
> separated and put into a different file so the current year remains
> small and usable in any case.

That keeps the records slim and trim. :-) From a database maintainence
point of view _if_ this method is good, it could be incorporated in
gnukhata too. Even if a file is corrupted, it is only for that year. Can
it be split further into months or weeks. Just like it is easier to
prevent lost emails in Thunderbird or OE if the mails are spread over
different folders (smaller db files). Just thinking aloud.

>>> But here i am
>>> talking of BIG installs.
>>>

>> Do the biggies use Tally?
>>

> Most of the real biggies use ERP
> But i have used tally in a US$15 million export house (actually ran
> their accounts)
> and worked with another company Rs. 175 Cr multi-location shipping line
> who used tally purely till we moved them into erp.
> We used to have upto 3500 primary transactions and another 1500
> secondary transactions each month in the export company.

What I've observed is that one cannot take any risk in doze as one can
do in Linux. However if one is a careful and disciplined user, the
systems run quite trouble free for years. It all depends on the usage.

Rony.

GNU/Linux !
No Viruses
No Spyware