[ILUG-BOM] CA offers to test GNUKhata

Krishnakant hackingkk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 19:23:14 IST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 19:15 +0530, jtd wrote:

> > > Wait until your database ballons with records 2 years down the
> > > line. Especially when you have higher hits. The solution most
> > > gleefully suggested by the vendor / consultant is bigger iron.
> >
> > I've seen records upto 6-7 years in Tally.
> >
> > > But here i am
> > > talking of BIG installs.
> >
> > Do the biggies use Tally?
>
> Tally does not use a database. It uses flat files. Afair until 4.5.
> And there were several files scattered in "account-num" directories.
> Corrupt one of them and you had it.
> Dont know what the current scene is like.
>
> Ironical story:
> Tally was launched with a curses i/f on dos. They later came up with a
> GUI that required changing the OS to OS2. I had refused to do that
> and took it in writing from Peutronics  that they would give me the
> windows version as soon as it was available. They had said within six
> months. But it took them afair 3 years.
>
> So I understand perfectly what you and Saswata are saying about a
> trial user committing additional resources. But the easy approach is
> not likely to work anyway.

I would strongly suggest coming back on topic.
While many people see GNUKhata as a good replacement for tally, As JTD
and many others noted, the way tally works technically and otherwise is
totally different than GNUKhata.
And we don't want to just support typicle home users.  We see medium to
large organisations using it.
Soon we will have a web based GNUKhata solution which will just need a
browser to run it.
So a separate deb package for server will be maintained.
We will have it running like a web application so that clowd computing
will also be possible with GNUKhata.

And as was pointed out time and time again, I won't like to keep
comparing how tally is handling or not handling files.  What matters for
us is given the fact that we use a very high performance database server
(postgresql), how we can further tune up the scalability and how thin
the client can get.

On the functional aspect, any good suggestion is wlecome.

Kartik and Siddhesh for example gave us very good ideas for packaging
and thanks to them, they are at least not letting that discussion happen
on this list (it is a focused discussion which *has* to happen on the
gnukhata mailing list).

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

Happy hacking.