[ILUG-BOM] Wireless connection problem.

Rajen M. Parekh rajen.parekh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 18:49:35 IST 2010

Hi,

I am not able to establish wireless connection on my wireless router if
I choose "Do not broadcast SSID" setting on the router. I am using
Opensuse 11.2 (KDE 4.3.4). Everything works fine if I choose to
broadcast SSID, but it doesn't connect if the SSID is not broadcasted.
The connection is managed by "NetworkManager". (Just for information, on
Windows, by modifying connection settings, one can connect with "Do not
broadcast SSID" setting turned on.) On Opensuse+kde-4.3.4, there is no
option available with the "KNetworkManager" which allows to make
connection when SSID is not broadcasted.

I don't know if this is opensuse specific problem, as I haven't tried
any other distro for this. From googling I could gather that there
is/was such a problem with other Linux distros like Ubuntu too. On a
positive note, in a tutorial for wireless connection on linux, there was
even this option where one could establish a connection when SSID is not
broadcasted. This tutorial was on Fedora. So I guess that this isn't a
linux specific problem, but its probably distro specific. Or maybe it
could be that I have missed something here. I wonder why I can't find
this option with Opensuse 11.2 (KDE - 4.3.4). Have I to install any
additional packages? If anybody has any experience in this regard, do
let me know.

Regards,
Rajen.