[ILUG-BOM] Wireless connection problem.

Rajen M. Parekh rajen.parekh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:30:37 IST 2010

On 29/01/10 20:11, steve wrote:
> On 01/29/2010 06:49 PM, Rajen M. Parekh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am not able to establish wireless connection on my wireless router if
>> I choose "Do not broadcast SSID" setting on the router.
> Firstly, why exactly are you choosing to not broadcast your SSID ? You
> do understand that doing so does not really affect the security of
> your network, right ? (that is just security by obscurity, for real
> world security use WPA)

Yes, I know not broadcasting SSID does not enhance security as such.
What was bugging me was that I was not able to establish a connection on
Linux when I could do so on Windows.

> Secondly, just a shot-in-the-dark, with NetworkManager running, right
> click the nm-applet and choose the option 'Connect to a Hidden
> Wireless Network ...' and check whether that option lets you connect.

That's exactly is the problem... KNetworkManager does not have such an
option... or at least I couldn't find one on my system. But, as
mentioned in my original post, the tutorial on Fedora (which I read on
the net somewhere) did show this option... unfortunately the tutorial
shown was on GNOME and I prefer KDE. There must be an equivalent tool in
KDE too...

Regards,
Rajen.