[ILUG-BOM] Linux ADS

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Mon Jul 26 11:16:25 IST 2010

On Monday, July 26, 2010 10:53:39 am Arun Khan wrote:
> > people get offended.
>
> +1
>
> While most people abide by mailing list etiquettes, I am of the
> opinion that the content of the poster is more important than format.
>
> If the poster is adding value to the discussion; that IMO is more
> valuable than the form.  Of course, the poster can be gently reminded
> about adopting mailing list etiquettes.
>
> In my early days of participation in USENET (late 80s) and mailing
> lists I was guilty of such "offences" but learnt the right way over
> time.  On a few occasions, my posts were adding value to the
> discussion but they were rejected by the admins simply because it was
> not in the "right" format.

I remember when BLUG was alive, there was a draconian policy of moderating top
posters - I am ashamed to say that I was a lead nazi in that movement. I
remember being moderated once because I did not trim under the post and
another time because I did not leave a blank line between the quoted matter
and my reply.  I had written a script to periodically scan the lists I was
member of and calculate the percentage of top posts. We brought down the blug
lists from about 70% to around 1-2%. I now only protest against top posts when
they mess up the thread. I used to reformat the top posts when replying - but
found it too much work and also the posters *still* did not understand. So let
us continue with gentle persusasion.

--
Regards
Kenneth Gonsalves