[ILUG-BOM] [SPAM] Re: Linux desktops for new users

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Wed Jul 28 14:16:29 IST 2010

Hi,

On 07/27/2010 07:51 PM, h.godavari wrote:
> Has anyone asked one or more Windows users why they don't migrate to
> Linux and try to mitigate the expressed short comings of Linux?

Has anyone asked one or more Britney Spears fans why they don't listen to Morzat
and try to mitigate the expressed short comings of Morzat ?

Has anyone asked one or more David Dhavan fans why they don't watch Satyajit Ray
movies and try to mitigate the expressed short comings of Satyajit Ray ?

Has anyone asked one or more Tom Clancy/Dean Koontz/John Grisham/Danielle Steele
readers why they don't read Shakespeare and try to mitigate the expressed short
comings of Shakespeare ?

Like jtd said, using different terms, the first step for people to accept linux
is to understand that it is *not* windows. Comparing the two is ultimately a
waste of time. Building something that makes windows users feel at home on linux
is an even bigger waste of time (although a lot of very smart people keep trying
...for whatever reason -- maybe just the hack quotient involved).

If you do want to migrate windows users to linux, the first step would be to
educate them about the 'motivations' behind the existence of linux and explain
that it is a different system with different (in fact, better) design principles
and policies.

Linux no longer needs to prove itself. We've now have had more than half of a
kickass decade of the linux desktop and clueless people still wonder when would
be the year that linux would take off in the desktop market.

Smart people are out there, making bucket-loads of money by adopting a linux
policy and there exists whole markets where linux virtually has no competition
(cloud computing, mobile platforms, embedded smart devices ...etc), but some
people caught in the era of windows will still cling to the familiar. Well,
they'll end up right besides the cobol users and people who think the internet
is something you install on your computer. Let them be.

cheers,
- steve

--
random spiel: http://lonetwin.net/