[ILUG-BOM] [OT] mailing list etiquette and reasoning

Revant Nandgaonkar revant.one at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 01:52:33 IST 2010

My question is,
how to avoid message recycling on gmail?
or for a newbie what (not) to do to not recycle?

Why bottom posting?
My reasoning;
some years ago google search for "linux" returned with
mailing lists archives. reading the replies helped me a lot,
if the mailing list etiquettes were followed on list it became
easier to understand the progression of a problem from
identification to the solution. even with outputs pasted in
posts.

This is not the case today and search strings land me up
to some forum where quoting is automatically arranged.

Why top posting is a problem?
in case of newbie search string like
"Installing internet with click9online mahim mumbai on linux" :-)
searcher might land up in a confused system of posting and
be more confused.
I hope this thread will help us discuss everything about
etiquettes here

Note:
for few times, unaware of the meaning, I top posted.
I rarely post anyways, but now I always take effort to
bottom post