[ILUG-BOM] India's $35 Tablet- The Everything Killer

jtd jtd at mtnl.net.in
Thu Jul 29 22:24:40 IST 2010

On Thursday 29 July 2010 22:01:45 Surya Sharma wrote:
> > On July 22 a $35 (or 1500 INR) hand-held Linux computing device
> > was unveiled
> > by Shri Kapil Sibal, the Union Minister for Human Resource
> > Development of India.
>
> The complete article is available on linux journal at the URL:
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/indias-35-tablet-everything-k
> >iller
>
> There are no complete articles on this thing, no details, just the
> same image and hype. I'd really like to see this go into
> production, but there's too much hype to be here in time and at
> that cost.

Looks like a con job, EXCEPT that there were some very reputable names
(both persons and institutions) linked to it.
 IMO a BOM price of $35 would be barely acheivable, given a massive
and immediate investments in a semi conductor and LCD fab. One might
consider this investment by the government a one time subsidy for
kick starting a strategically vital LSI industry. IMO they maybe
excused  for poking their nose in industry with public money. If,
after such an investment, the fab does manage to distribute a $50 kit
and continues to do so in sufficient quantity for 3yrs, i would
consider the investment to be an astounding success.

Inspite of all the evidence I dearly hope that this is true.

--
Rgds
JTD