[ILUG-BOM] FOSS profit

Binand Sethumadhavan binand at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 21:33:15 IST 2010

2010/12/29 Sagar Belure <sagar.belure at gmail.com>:
> Maybe I'm asking another noob question.
> But, wanted to know, how the big companies gain profit who run Free
> and Open Source project like Mozilla, Apache, etc.

They don't. They are run by non-profit organizations. Mozilla has a
deal with Google to set the default search to Google, for which they
get paid a hefty sum which pays for developers and infrastructure.
Apache developers are paid by the companies that benefit from the
project.

Redhat is an out-and-out commercial organization that offers support
as a service; many big companies pay Redhat for support.

> Of course, even if you are working for Free and Open source projects,
> there has to be some income.

Indeed. And the idea of Free Software is that you don't make money by
selling software written by somebody else; you instead provide
value-addition over the base software.

Binand