[ILUG-BOM] FOSS profit

Binand Sethumadhavan binand at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 22:58:58 IST 2010

2010/12/29 Narendra Sisodiya <narendra at narendrasisodiya.com>:
>> Indeed. And the idea of Free Software is that you don't make money by
>> selling software written by somebody else; you instead provide
>> value-addition over the base software.
>
> Nope.
> Free Software aka Freedom Software or Example software licensed under GPLv3
> or similar license never stop you to sell a software. For example If you
> purchase a custom GPLv3 software from me, I will charge you heavily. But now
> you have a license which allow you to sell  or upload somewhere on web to
> sell it free of cost. Because it never restrict you or anybody to share,
> automatically software become free of cost.

So what's the "Nope" for? That's exactly what I said, right? Unless I
provide some value-addition over the base software, nobody'd buy it
off me paying $$$ when the same stuff is available elsewhere for free,
right? I didn't say the license *prohibited* anyone from selling, only
that it discourages it by making it not viable, right?

Binand