[ILUG-BOM] FOSS profit

Sagar Belure sagar.belure at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 03:28:26 IST 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 1:59 AM, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> Get this clear: BEFORE you ask questions, you research and post the
> results of your research. Then others will reply based on your
> understanding or lack thereof.

Alright.
The Revolution OS documentary which was made in 2001 shows
difficulties Eric Raymond and other VA systems software developers
were facing problems while implementing the projects and to get
venture capital firms investments.
Also, why was the term "Open Source" came into existence instead of
"Free Software", and so the BSD license.
And then, the Netscape's decision to make their source code open so to
complete with Microsoft's IE.

And, so on and forth.
But, the documentary and even some of links I got by googling are like
late 90's.

I mean, if you think for now, say, "What? A browser for $$? Are you
nuts to buy that?"

Also, for guy like me, dealing with all this Free and Open source
world not even more than an year now, is not at all worth to refer
that all.
I wanted the real-time scenario, or should I say, how the market look
at all this FOSS development life cycles.

> One of the very good methods of making money is studying some topic of
> interest, then writing articles and holding seminars - one way of
> providing answers. Do you have the faintest clue how sought after are
> such people?.

I can't really imagine, people making a *real* business out of this.

> FOSS is vast ecosystem of every concievable tool imaginable and
> invariably many thousand before you have faced the same problem and
> found solutions, usually by a bit of research, many suggestions and
> sometimes by writing code. The nature of the net is such that all
> such exchanges are archived and google throws up the answers.
>
> But if you expect to sit on your derriere and get answers you are
> going nowhere.

Agreed.
I wish I see that line, I wake up every morning out of my bed.

--
Thanks,
Sagar Belure