[ILUG-BOM] Fwd: command to get description of packages listed in a file

Kussh Singh kussh.singh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 09:42:39 IST 2010

Hi all

Is there any easy way to get the description of all packages listed in a
file which contains the names of all such packages?

eg.
i used
sudo dpkg --get-selections >installed-software

to make a list of all installed software packages on my system
However I want to remove some of them in batch mode (from the command line)
instead of by using synaptic and deleting them one by one which is a
cumbersome process.  So the description of such packages is needed in
another file containing a subset of names of packages likely to be removed.

How can this be done ?

Kussh