[ILUG-BOM] FOSS profit

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Thu Dec 30 12:32:48 IST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 22:33 +0530, Narendra Sisodiya wrote:
> Free Software aka Freedom Software or Example software licensed under
> GPLv3
> or similar license never stop you to sell a software. For example If
> you
> purchase a custom GPLv3 software from me, I will charge you heavily.

remind me never to purchase from you ;-) Jokes aside, what you are
trying to say is this: I write software for someone who pays me for it.
Although I write it, since the developement is paid for by my client, he
has the copyright over it. He can decide to release it under any
license, or to keep it proprietary. I do not have any rights over the
software. This is one way to make money (that is how I make a living -
although I do not charge Narendra)

The second scenario is that I write the software on my own time. I own
the copyright. I can sell it to the client for a fee. But here is the
catch: If I have licensed it under the GPL, the moment I sell it to the
client, I have distributed it - and hence am obliged to give a copy of
the source code to anyone who asks. So only the client pays for it, the
rest of the world gets it free. This is impossible - the client will
demand his money back - why should he pay while his competitors are all
getting it free? - this business model will not work.

--
regards
KG