[ILUG-BOM] Seeking: Scanners compatible with FOSS OCR , application for building Contacts database

jitendra jituviju at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 10:17:16 IST 2010

I propose to purchase a scanner and also use the same , among other things,
for reading Business cards of contacts to build a database.
My query

   1. Can I assume that using any scanner I can get pdf files and the same
   can be OCRed ( using pdfocr script  which uses Cnueiform )
   2. Are there any scanners I should avoid
   3. Any experience or Contra-indication against  Canon LiDE 100 .
   4. Any application that reads the business cards and intelligently (or
   interactively) give parsed data from business card
   5. Any recommendation for FOSS application for building a database for
   contacts using scanner/OCR/manual effort

jitendra