[ILUG-BOM] FOSS profit

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Fri Dec 31 11:12:10 IST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 20:42 +0530, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) wrote:
> That's because your business model is based on a flawed premise: that
> by
> giving a GPL software to one person you are obliged to share it with
> everyone in the world.

my dear chap, I am talking about open source software - where the code
is up in a public repository - as the key part of my business model is
to get outside developers involved. It is not only the best model to
develop good software at lower costs and sustain the app - it is also an
affirmation of the stand that it is immoral to keep source code closed.

I am no expert on the GPL and it is quite possible that what you say is
true - I have seen any number people/companies using the GPL to develop
software in a closet - and keep it there. Which is why I avoid the GPL
as restrictive of freedom.
--
regards
KG