[ILUG-BOM] FOSS profit

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Fri Dec 31 15:18:59 IST 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 14:01 +0530, jtd wrote:
> > True. The GPL was designed to ensure wins for both the developer
> > and the end user. The party that loses in this system is the
> > distributor - he now has to play by the rules, or drop out of the
> > system altogether. GPL-violations.org tracks those distributors who
> > are being difficult about it.
>
> Only violators are losers. Whoever abides by the rules and tailors
> his
> business to the rules wins, including distributors - in a way
> everyone is a minor contibutor to the overall system and everyone is
> a distributor, including distro vendors like canonical, slackware,
> whoever. Whiccever way you look at it, everyone is taking orders of
> magnitude more than they are putting in. The best part is this is
> intended by design.

right now we are discussing a perversion of the GPL - keeping so-called
GPL code private. I do not agree with much that Stallman says - but I
*do* believe that he has drafted the GPL for the purpose of protecting
the rights of a publisher of source code in the open. At least I hope
so. If one keeps the source code private (between two individuals), then
of what use is GPLing it (apart from bragging rights - 'I am a foss
programmer because my code is GPLed').
--
regards
KG