[ILUG-BOM] Seeking: Scanners compatible with FOSS OCR , application for building Contacts database

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:52:17 IST 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM, jitendra <jituviju at gmail.com> wrote:
> I propose to purchase a scanner and also use the same , among other things,
> for reading Business cards of contacts to build a database.
> My query
>
>   1. Can I assume that using any scanner I can get pdf files and the same
>   can be OCRed ( using pdfocr script  which uses Cnueiform )

You can choose PDF output in xsane, no idea if it can be OCR'd by your script.

I am using Epson Perfection V30 in my office. You will need to
download Linux drivers from Epson's site.  The download also includes
two minimalist scanner apps that produce output in JPEG, PDF, PNG
formats; the output is good enough for my use.

>   2. Are there any scanners I should avoid

See below.

>   3. Any experience or Contra-indication against  Canon LiDE 100 .

About 4 months back I installed an unit @ client site - it does not
support Linux and at that time Canon had no drivers for it on their
web site.