[ILUG-BOM] Seeking: Scanners compatible with FOSS OCR , application for building Contacts database

jitendra jituviju at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 19:49:02 IST 2010

Thanks Arun,

I found this on the web:

Support has recently been added for this scanner. You have to download the
latest source code and compile. Below is instructions copied from a
Shutter4U post

 Code:

To get this working, here are the steps to take:

1) You need some usb libraries, so, in a terminal type:

sudo apt-get install libusb-dev build-essential libsane-dev

2) To get the sane backends from git you need git-core. If you don't
already have it, type this (also in a terminal):

sudo apt-get install git-core

3) Now use the git that was just installed to get the sane backends
using the following command:

git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git

That downloads the backends and puts them in a folder called
sane-backends in your home folder.

4) Change directory into the new sane-backends folder and compile them:

cd sane-backends

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

make <--- this one takes a while

sudo make install

Now everything is installed, but you still won't be able to scan
(except as root) until you set up some permissions.

5) You need to edit a file, but you need to be root to edit it, so:

sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules

and add the following 2 lines:

# Canon CanoScan Lide 100
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1904", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

save the file, exit gedit, exit terminal, reboot, and...

SCAN AWAY!

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM, jitendra <jituviju at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I propose to purchase a scanner and also use the same , among other
> things,
> > for reading Business cards of contacts to build a database.
> > My query
> >
> >   1. Can I assume that using any scanner I can get pdf files and the same
> >   can be OCRed ( using pdfocr script  which uses Cnueiform )
>
> You can choose PDF output in xsane, no idea if it can be OCR'd by your
> script.
>
> I am using Epson Perfection V30 in my office. You will need to
> download Linux drivers from Epson's site.  The download also includes
> two minimalist scanner apps that produce output in JPEG, PDF, PNG
> formats; the output is good enough for my use.
>
> >   2. Are there any scanners I should avoid
>
> See below.
>
> >   3. Any experience or Contra-indication against  Canon LiDE 100 .
>
> About 4 months back I installed an unit @ client site - it does not
> support Linux and at that time Canon had no drivers for it on their
> web site.
>
> From other forums, similar query, I have read that HP scanners work
> with Linux - do your research as for model numbers etc.
>
> >   4. Any application that reads the business cards and intelligently (or
> >   interactively) give parsed data from business card
> >   5. Any recommendation for FOSS application for building a database for
> >   contacts using scanner/OCR/manual effort
>
> I am also interested in the above two.  Please do post your findings
> when find something useful.
>
> HTH,
> -- Arun Khan

jitendra