[ILUG-BOM] Fwd: command to get description of packages listed in a file

Kussh Singh kussh.singh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 04:30:48 IST 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Raghu Prasad <prasad.raghu.k at gmail.com>wrote:

> From your description, I haven't understood your requirement very well.
> Though I suspect you might be looking at something like this:
>
> dpkg --get-selections | sed -es'![ \t]\+.\+$!!' | tee
> /var/tmp/installed-software | xargs apt-cache depends
> >/var/tmp/software-dpendencies
>
> It lists down all the dependencies/suggestions/conflicts of packages
> installed
> on your system. If you just want to find out dependencies of few select
> packages
> you want to remove, then put their names (one per line) in a file, (say
> packages-to-remove) and run the following:
>
> cat packages-to-remove | xargs apt-cache depends >/var/tmp/pkg-dpendencies
>
> Raghu
> --

Thank you for the info.
I was thinking of removing certain packages in one go that were tried out
but were not found suitable in a new installation--so description of all
packages installed earlier was needed.
Thank you for your response. I guess I will have to  go thru the apt
documentation fairly rigorously in order to get the description of each
package in one go.

Kussh