[ILUG-BOM] Fwd: command to get description of packages listed in a file

Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ શાહ/दिनेश Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ શાહ/दिनेश
Sat Jan 1 17:02:47 IST 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 4:30 AM, Kussh Singh <kussh.singh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Raghu Prasad <prasad.raghu.k at gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > From your description, I haven't understood your requirement very well.
> > Though I suspect you might be looking at something like this:
> >
> > dpkg --get-selections | sed -es'![ \t]\+.\+$!!' | tee
> > /var/tmp/installed-software | xargs apt-cache depends
> > >/var/tmp/software-dpendencies
> >
> > It lists down all the dependencies/suggestions/conflicts of packages
> > installed
> > on your system. If you just want to find out dependencies of few select
> > packages
> > you want to remove, then put their names (one per line) in a file, (say
> > packages-to-remove) and run the following:
> >
> > cat packages-to-remove | xargs apt-cache depends >/var/tmp/pkg-dpendencies
> >
> > Raghu
> > --
> >

> Thank you for the info.
> I was thinking of removing certain packages in one go that were tried out
> but were not found suitable in a new installation--so description of all
> packages installed earlier was needed.
> Thank you for your response. I guess I will have to  go thru the apt
> documentation fairly rigorously in order to get the description of each
> package in one go.

try

$ apt-cache show $(dpkg --get-selections |cut -f1) > package-desc.lst

The file will have all the packages install on your system along with
their description

After your remove packages also try

# apt-get autoremove

to remove all packages not required on the system due to the
dependencies removed from the system.

> Kussh

HTH
With regards,