[ILUG-BOM] Seeking: Scanners compatible with FOSS OCR , application for building Contacts database

Rony gnulinuxist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 23:54:59 IST 2011

On Friday 31 December 2010 10:17 AM, jitendra wrote:
> I propose to purchase a scanner and also use the same , among other things,
> for reading Business cards of contacts to build a database.
> My query
>
>     1. Can I assume that using any scanner I can get pdf files and the same
>     can be OCRed ( using pdfocr script  which uses Cnueiform )
>     2. Are there any scanners I should avoid
>     3. Any experience or Contra-indication against  Canon LiDE 100 .
>     4. Any application that reads the business cards and intelligently (or
>     interactively) give parsed data from business card
>     5. Any recommendation for FOSS application for building a database for
>     contacts using scanner/OCR/manual effort

Avoid Canon scanners as they do not have proper linux drivers. Plus,
they draw power from the usb port itself which is not nice and can be
useless for older mobos. HP now supports its printers and scanners well
and its hplip software is good. Just go through the list of supported
devices before buying.

--

As a proper list etiquette...
Please trim your replies.