[ILUG-BOM] Please use appropriate subject line (Was Re: Fwd: [PLUG] GNUnify '11)

Raj Mathur ( राज माथुर ) raju at linux-delhi.org
Wed Feb 2 19:45:14 IST 2011

On Wednesday 02 Feb 2011, Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:
> 2011/2/2 Nitesh Mistry <mailbox at mistrynitesh.net>:
> > the messages with pgp keys is more meaningful than you just writing
> > your name below every message. Because anybody can write any name
> > below the message, but nobody other than me can pgp sign a message
> > with key id A6FEF696. If you want a proof that the name mentioned
> > on the key A6FEF696 is really Nitesh Mistry, you are always
> > welcome to meet me and I can give all the documents in the world
> > to prove it (and no I won't bite you ;) ).
>
> The point from day one is that it carries no additional meaning in a
> mailing list context; all you are doing is reducing the S/N. If you
> cannot grasp that, why bother?

I don't agree that signing messages is reducing S/N on a list.  PGP/GPG
signing does accomplish the following:

- Encourage more people to ask questions about and hopefully adopt
privacy-friendly practices in public communications.

- Establish a non-repudiable ownership of the content of the message.

- Establish prior art in case you put an idea into a message which
someone steals.

I sign messages to mailing lists on a regular (if infrequent) basis,
never had a complaint yet.

Of course, if Nitesh' key isn't available for download from a keyserver
then the effectiveness of the signing does go down, but it still serves
the same basic functions.

Regards,

-- Raj
--