[ILUG-BOM] Distro release cycle

Revant Nandgaonkar revant.one at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 09:48:10 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Priyanka Sarkar <efyedit6 at efyindia.com>wrote:

> 'With many distros going for a six-monthly release cycle, do you think the
> release cycles of distros are too short? (And users don't have to upgrade
> on a frequent basis?) '
> What do you think on this? Would really appreciate if you share your views
> elaborately.

I use FOSS primarily for personal computing.

I like "6 month / LTS" (fixed release cycles)

I am a faithful Ubuntu user, shifted to Linux mint with release of "unity".
Linux Mint leaf was a gateway introducing me to rolling releases LMDE and
in turn Debian testing.

I think rolling ones are for continuous testing and development and not for
daily Personal computing.

I'm back to Ubuntu using unity and posting bugs if I encounter any.

What I experienced was that the Fixed Release Distros had all new FOSS
developments well polished and integrated into a distro. Most of the time,
the 6 month releases also get upgraded with click of a button. There are
Menus guiding you for the additions to software and repos you did.
Every 6 month I get upgrades without losing any data or taking any backups.
I'm happy with fixed release cycle of 6 months and LTS system of ubuntu.

I have a small server for openerp on that I use Ubuntu LTS.

I also have few personal computers in rural area where I installed LTS in
the hope to upgrade them after 2 years, anyway these are the computers who
got second life with help of FOSS, I was not expecting anything from these
computers, not even 2 years.

Revant