[ILUG-BOM] Kontalk messenger (Re: [X-POST] January Meetup)

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 03:38:32 EST 2014

For those who were not present at the meetup, kontalk is a Free
Software replacement for whatsapp - you can chat with anyone if you
know their phone number using a data connection (cheaper sms for many
people). See http://kontalk.org

Currently it is available only on android. Their next version would
support XMPP and it would make it easy to get it working on other
platforms.

Karan asked me how they would know if my contact has a kontalk account
if they don't store everyone's number? I asked the upstream and he
confirmed my guess.

When you register your number, the server sends you an sms to confirm
your number and the number is discarded. A one way hash of the number
is used as username (like storing passwords, the server can never
guess the number based on the hash). So when you want to talk to
someone in your phone contact list, the client will make a hash and
send it to the server to find the public. The public key of the user
will be signed by the server and all communications will be end to end
encrypted. Only way to spy would installing apps on the users' phones.

This is simply brilliant, the encryption solution we have been waiting
for, as easy as whatsapp!

Cheers
Praveen

2014/1/18, Rigved Rakshit <r.phate at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> There might be connectivity issue at the venue. It is advisable to
> have a backup Internet connection handy.
>
> Best Regards,
> Rigved

പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your rights
from them; you give them permission to rule, only so long as they follow the
rules: laws and constitution.