[ILUG-BOM] Fail-Over & Load-balancing

Arvind S tuxhead09 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 22:48:31 IST 2014

Hi Siji,

> Hoping that this will manage the state of Video Streaming at the time of
failover.
> Have you tried this before with failover video streaming ?

I have not tested such a setup before. IMO, Pacemaker cluster suite will
help to provide high availability of the hosted services, in terms of
monitoring and failing  over the services to other nodes as the policy
defined.  The PEngine basically does this. It provides the logic and a
component, that takes the cluster’s current state, decides on the optimal
next state and produces an ordered list of actions to achieve that state.

The failover time of service in cluster will depend upon several factors
such as type of resources used, time taken by the each resource in the
service group to start up in case of failover/failback, network side
delays. To minimize the service delay, a proper tuning will be required not
only with the cluster (in terms of failover times) but also with the
application which is being hosted.

Depending upon the service hosted, there can be a delay upto few seconds
(solely dependent on type of application) at the time of failover which
would required to be anticipated by testing the setup prior to deployment.

Kind Regards,
Arvind.