[ILUG-BOM] FOSS Landscape and History in India

G Karunakar indlinux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 16:06:58 IST 2014

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rmehta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am working on an article to map the FOSS landscape in India. I spent some time going through archives of the various groups / Wikipedia pages and websites. What I see is a fragmented group of individual enthusiasts and contributors, either working individually or in companies that support / use FOSS and of course having a lot of flame wars. The Linux Archives India have a tag line "All The Dirty Laundry Unfit to Wash in Public"

<snip what you already gathered>
you could add, FOSS movements on enabling Indian language support in FOSS.
An incomplete timeline  -
http://indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/IndLinuxSaga (focus more on
activities under Indlinux group), , lot more has happened since 2007
that still needs to be documented.

Then what should not be missed is the grooming of LUGs and other
groups, the activities they brought in, events they organized. Every
event helped spawn more activities, people. Some venues were the
hotbeds for many activities be it places like IIT* , JNU, Sarai, SICSR
or the favourite meeting and eating joints of Luggers.

An article may not do full justice, what is needed is a book on FOSS
in India, may collaboratively written as wikibook,  if all agree to
disagree and keep a lid on the flames!!

Karunakar