[ILUG-BOM] FOSS Landscape and History in India

Rushabh Mehta rmehta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 18:21:18 IST 2014

> <snip what you already gathered>
> you could add, FOSS movements on enabling Indian language support in FOSS.
> An incomplete timeline  -
> http://indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/IndLinuxSaga (focus more on
> activities under Indlinux group), , lot more has happened since 2007
> that still needs to be documented.
>
> Then what should not be missed is the grooming of LUGs and other
> groups, the activities they brought in, events they organized. Every
> event helped spawn more activities, people. Some venues were the
> hotbeds for many activities be it places like IIT* , JNU, Sarai, SICSR
> or the favourite meeting and eating joints of Luggers.

Thanks Karunakar for the updates. I see a lot of the contributions to FOSS in India have happened in the languages domain.

> An article may not do full justice, what is needed is a book on FOSS
> in India, may collaboratively written as wikibook,  if all agree to
> disagree and keep a lid on the flames!!

Let me do this first, then will create a public repo and see if there is more interest in maintaining it.

The key would be to keep it updated. This got started off well, but lost steam eventually

http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page