[ILUG-BOM] Stitch In Time

J T Dsouza jtd1959 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:36:10 IST 2016

My email with some more info to point out he other hand of the government -
DIETY.

Hon Minister,

Thank you for inviting comments for the New Education Policy

I refer to section 4.9 titled "Use of ICT in Education"

It is imperative in today's world to leverage technology and internet for
helping better education and we totally agree with this. However we are
disappointed that there is no emphasis on making this based on Free and
Open Source software.

Not only is Free Software cost effective, there are many other benefits.

Quoting the pioneer of Free Software, Richard Stallman,

"Free software permits students to learn how software works. Some students,
natural-born programmers, on reaching their teens yearn to learn everything
there is to know about their computer and its software. They are intensely
curious to read the source code of the programs that they use every day.

Proprietary software rejects their thirst for knowledge: it says, “The
knowledge you want is a secret—learning is forbidden!” Proprietary software
is the enemy of the spirit of education, so it should not be tolerated in a
school, except as an object for reverse engineering.

Free software encourages everyone to learn. The free software community
rejects the “priesthood of technology”, which keeps the general public in
ignorance of how technology works; we encourage students of any age and
situation to read the source code and learn as much as they want to know."

The GOI having taken cognisance of the matter has initiated a policy to use
and promote FOSS, thru DIETY..
http://deity.gov.in/content/free-and-open-source-software

To quote DIETY
"FOSS is stipulated by a liberal licensing policy that makes it possible to
be obtained free of charge along with the source code, which can be
modified by the user as per requirements. Advantages like increasing
interoperability, developing local capacity/ industry, reducing costs,
achieving vendor independence, enabling localization, reducing
piracy/copyright infringements and increasing growth of knowledge-based
society are among the compelling reasons for adopting FOSS. India’s
strength in Information Technology can be utilized to develop products
using FOSS which will help in bridging the digital divide with significant
cost savings and facilitate the creation of a knowledge society. Indian
industry/SMEs can benefit from the liberal licensing norms of FOSS which
enables software to be freely modified and distributed."

Further, there are exemplary examples of the use of FOSS in education in
several states in India. Kerala is an outstanding example.

The advantages of using free software like *Bharat Operating System
Solutions - *BOSS Linux - developed by CDAC is all too obvious, given the
need to support the PM's  Make in India initiative, savings in foreign
exchange, security and privacy. BOSS has enhanced Desktop Environment
integrated with Indian language support, thus permitting learning in the
state's local language.

In reference to this I strongly urge the department to include that all
software used by schools should be Free and Open Source.

Thanking you,
Your truly
J. T. D'souza