[ILUG-BOM] Computer usage

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 00:58:38 IST 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Harsha Godavari <h.godavari at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I am looking for information regarding the use of older hardware from i486 and up. Ofcourse I am only thinking of end users who consider a computer as just another tool to get done whatever they are doing.
>
> Considering that many distros are beginning to require 64-bit CPUs running at Ghz speeds, needing Gigabytes of RAM and HD space, I was wondering if the old hardware is really E-waste or can still be used for some Email/Web surfing , nothing fancy . I would appreciate any info / sources you can provide.

The problem with email and web surfing -- the content has become
*bloatware*  People send MBs as attachments and links to video
material and they  require fairly high speed 'net access and cpu/ram
on the client side.   Today, this is the *expectation* of the average
Joe/Jane user.    In my experience, most video content is still Flash
and it tends to consume CPU/RAM (htop is great as a monitor).

Virtualized desktop may be the nice middle ground.  You use these
legacy hardware as "thin" clients to connect to a LTSP server and
maximize the usage of old hardware.  On the flip side, they need
legacy power supplies running in the range of 250W per seat -
definitely not green.

My 2 cents.

-- Arun Khan