[ILUG-BOM] Writeup on Meetup on 13th May

Rushabh Mehta rmehta at gmail.com
Mon May 15 14:04:29 IST 2017

> I wish there was a middle path between the two models, wherein passion and
> money was equally abundant in OSS development.
>
> thanks
>
> P.S. Pardon me for shamelessly plugging this here,
> but if anybody is interested in donating money to Krita they can checkout
> this page -> https://krita.org/en/support-us/donations/

I think this is very important. My take is that all users of Krita should
be made aware that it is built by volunteers and a non profit. Kirta can
also start a one time payment of say $10 to the foundation that can be
activated in-app via a popup (say after 2 months of usage). Those who use
actively should be able to pay a small amount to ensure development
continues. I am not saying that it should be mandatory, but it could be
displayed more prominently. Not many open source projects actually do this.
We don't do it either, but we are definitely going to move in that
direction. Ultimately a non-profit can (should) also think like a business
and able to sustain itself without compromising on any of the core values.