[ILUG-BOM] Website for ILUG-BOM

Rahul Upakare rahulu at gmail.com
Mon May 15 17:38:40 IST 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Anurag <gnurag at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Raghavendra Kamath <
> raghavendr.raghu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Do we have a website? I searched but I couldn't find it. I think we have
> > the domain http://ilug-bom.org.in/ which has a note pointing to the
> > mailing list.
> >
> > What do you guys think about creating a website?
> > It can be static, generated via Jekyll or pelican.
> >
> > Rushabh had an idea of hosting from GitHub pages, I think it is good idea
> > if hosting space is a problem.
> >

> I support this option too. We used to have a wiki, a rails based website,
> and one based on zope over the time. But as serveral members mentioned
> here, setting up the website is easy, keeping it up to date is a task.
>
> IMO, github (or gitlab pages) based static website would be the best bet. A
> jekyll/hugo/pelican powered static website maintained via ilug-bom
> organization in github that accepts PRs from the community - lets try this?

I think it is a control vs. simplicity paradox. If we want a user interface
which anybody knows how to use, it has to be simple like wiki. Anyone can
contribute/update/edit/produce/maintain the content. There is no need for a
separate maintainer for content.

On the other hand, the github pages approach is not for everyone. It may be
simple for sophisticated/power users, but definitely not straight forward
for everyone. IMHO, sending, approving, and merging PR requests is to much
to ask for if change is very small (like, sentence/spelling correction or
small additions).

In short, if priority is to have few people control/approve the website
content, then github pages is no doubt a good option, but if we want
everyone/anyone to contribute, would suggest to go for some simpler options.

Thanks,
--
Rahul Upakare

PS: Has anybody tried github wiki?

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. ~Confucius