[ILUG-BOM] Is there a ransomware attack on Linux based OSes too?

Raghavendra Kamath raghavendr.raghu at gmail.com
Mon May 15 23:29:20 IST 2017

Hi

On 2017 May 15 22:56:41, J T Dsouza wrote:
> wine access is restricted to a specific directory. It cannot access
> anything outside that directory. The encryption utility will not be able to
> read a linux filesystem in anycase.

I think the '/' (root directory) gets mapped to 'Z' drive in wine, that way it is accessible.
I don't know the specific details about the permissions it has. But the Wine FAQs themselves suggest that wine is not immune to malware or viruses
as mentioned here -> https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Is_Wine_malware-compatible.3F

And as far as I understand, if wine is run as user, it can acces user files and can alter your personal files, which is what the malware targets.

--
Raghavendra Kamath
Illustrator