[ILUG-BOM] Is there a ransomware attack on Linux based OSes too?

Joe Steeve js at hipro.co.in
Thu May 18 14:20:34 IST 2017

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 23:29 +0530, Raghavendra Kamath wrote:
> I don't know the specific details about the permissions it has. But
> the Wine FAQs themselves suggest that wine is not immune to malware
> or viruses as mentioned here ->
> https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Is_Wine_malware-compatible.3F

This is the case where an infected executable is run by Wine.

In the case of wannacry, the malware is deployed on a target machine
over the network, by exploiting an smbv1 bug specific to windows.

However, if wannacry is manually installed and executed in Wine, then
yes, it can affect you.

--
Joe Steeve
HiPro IT Solutions Private Limited