[ILUG-BOM] St Mary, We are Ready...

Milind Oka oak445 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 23:20:42 IST 2017

Hi all Members,

Here is a small update of St Mary Linux Migration.
Today we reached exactly at 1 o clock to the St Mary school. Purpose of
our visit was to have trial installation and testing for Saturday's
Migration.

Father Jude was talking to a group of parents near the gate. He welcomed
all of us and instructed the non teaching staff to open the labs.. Also
he gave us his laptop for Linux installation.

We have decided to install Fedora-25 build, customized by our member
Rajeev specially for Schools. Thanks to him for such a wonderful job
done in a small amount of time.

Rajieev's live image booted successfully but the installer had a
permission issue and was not starting. Then we tried Ubuntu 16.04.2 and
Fedora 25 plain image. Both got installed successfully on the lab machines.

After that we got Rajeev's on-call support and we were able to diagnose
and install the same on Fr Jude's laptop.
Finally every thing is working and the laptop is ready.

This means that Rajeev's image can now be used for Saturday's installation.

Observations :

1. Fedora's partitioning tools in the default installer was confusing
for us. As a workaround we used gparted.manually partitioned the disk.

2. There seems to be an error Notification about boot image crash but
the system is working correctly.

3. We saw few errors during shutdown.

Few suggestions :

1. Put Gparted in live image..
3. Put gnome tweak tool.
2. Request to add some extensions by default namely top icons, dash to
doc application menu.
3. Put some educational games.

Today we had a special guest - Latif.
Latif is from Osmanabad. He is well acquainted with Linux. He teaches
Edu-BOSS in School. He is about to start this mission in nearby schools.
We all will support him. All best wishes to him.

Mostly Raghu and Tayyab performed all experiments, helped by Benoy.
Benoy was busy but still managed to find some time and came for support.

Latif and me were only testing different packages such as gimp, libre
office etc. On Saturday we also can take part in installation, since 30
machines are to be switched to Linux (Fedora).

To help us, Principal Fr Jude's Fernandes had called a Lab maintenance
person Mr Dilip. Dilip curiously watched the installations and is ready
to learn the skill in future.

So let us tighten our belts for Saturday Installation Festival. This is
really a proud moment for all of us here in GNU/Linux Users Group, Mumbai.
Please do join us on Saturday at about 1:30 pm. We can complete all
installations upto 4:30 - 5:00 pm
All are welcome.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8o5mg00ac12nrys/SM01
http://www.mediafire.com/view/snk6dnjo5p7u2j9/SM02