[ILUG-BOM] Self hosting Git, IM, VoIP and Screen share

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 20:48:34 IST 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 8:31 AM, Raghavendra Kamath
<raghavendr.raghu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have heard that managing a mail server is a nightmare, so much so that, even most experienced admins think twice before doing it.
> Is this true? And how easy it is to self host mails, and possibly stay out of the spamhaus list? How much worth is it when compared to a paid service like Kolab now?

IMO, it's almost a full time job (personal experience doing it for
about 2 years).

The biggest headache is dealing with the support at the various RBL.
There are many inexpensive providers; email messaging is their "core"
competency.   I would suggest let them handle it unless you want to
enter this domain for a living.

Nowadays, I use a smart host relay for outgoing messages and for
incoming messages, a MX pointing to a service provider.

-- Arun Khan