[ILUG-BOM] Monthly Meeting Summary - 12th August 2017

J T Dsouza jtd1959 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:38:00 IST 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Rony Bill <gnulinuxist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2017 12:27 PM, "Vishwas Hajirnis"
>
> Tally may not be a solvable problem under linux but it
>
> may be required only by the office / accounts staff.
>

> Krishnakant Mane and his team have successfully made a tally alternative
> called GNU Khata. They have docs on how to migrate Tally data into GK. They
> even do it at your place for a fee. The only roadblock I see is the CAs'
> refusal to work on non Tally software as they get heavy discounts and
> promotion from the company.

That is not the real problem. The real problem is the old standards issue.
Peutronics <whatever they are called now> keep changing their data formats.
It is not only a CA or one client who has to switch. It is all clients of a
CA firm and other collaborating CA firms who have to switch. Else one will
require a continuos ongoing seamless means of data export to / from GNU
Khata to Tally.

There is also the never ending issue of keeping up with the utterly daft
ROC, ST, Excise, VAT departments' idiotic implementations of security
certificates for esigning. Most of the above services do not function
behind a proxy / firwall and require disabling to ZERO all security to get
them working. Add to the mix M$ document formats, forms embedded in PDF,
etc etc and one faces a herculean task in switching a CA's office to a
GNU/Linux environment.