[ILUG-BOM] Monthly Meeting Summary - 12th August 2017

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 10:58:12 IST 2017

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Milind Oka <oak445 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Monthly Meeting Summary - 12th August 2017

Meeting Notes!  Thanks for the great yeoman service.
This team of members have done a wonderful job in reviving Mumbai ILUG.

> Fortunately we had more student attendees. They certainly enjoyed the
> expert's tips.

Wonderful.  Encourage them to bring their friends next time and who in
turn will spread the word around and so on.
Are you also announcing the meetings on MeetUp, FB, Twitter etc.

> Although the idea was welcome by DBIT Profs and students, it could be
> difficult to arrange everything in a short amount of time.
> So we put the proposal to DBIT for further discussion.

This is kind of open ended.

> In the last session, Nilesh showed the lab manuals that he has prepared with
> the help of students. Nilesh and his students team have made a wonderful
> job. The students had even gone to a few schools. But the principals of
> junior colleges are not yet confident to migrate. As per his teams feedback,
> the only problem they faced was Tally and .net.  We need to study
> alternatives to these softwares further.

Others have commented very well on Tally and it's alternatives.  On
.NET, I am not a developer but what I have heard from others, it is
possible to do .NET development on Linux.  I guess this is a good
starting point <https://goo.gl/9x6zux>.  This might all be CLI;  for
the CLI impaired it might still be an issue.

> As far as schools are concerned there seems no problem in State or CBSE
> board.

Sigh.  I believe it's the same at the Univ. level save and except one
semester course on basic CLI on Redhat 9 (the last I heard a couple of
years back).

-- Arun Khan