[ILUG-BOM] [PLUG] Debconf 20/21 in India

Siji Sunny sijisunny at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:50:59 IST 2018

> at bottom :-
>
> On 07/08/2018, Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar at alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 08:19:49AM +0530, Rigved Rakshit wrote:
> >> Thanks everyone for submitting the bid for DebConf in India.
> >>
> >> If we are thinking of IIT Mumbai as a venue for DebConf 20, then we need
> >> make sure that IIT Mumbai gives us solid WiFi and mobile carrier signals
> >> in
> >> the campus. During the Mini-DebConf there, we had big issues with
> >> internet
> >> connectivity. This is something which we can easily fix with help of
> >> current students.
> >
> > As someone who works in IIT Bombay and a member of Debian, I can make
> > this happen. We have quite a big operation in IITB with regard to FOSS
> > push, and Debian is one of our major work items.

True, our experience with IIT Mumbai (and FOSSEE team) was amazing and
organized 4-5 OpenSource events (including MIniDebConf) in last couple of
years and all went well.

As mentioned by Rigved, there was few challenge from the connectivity point
of view, which I believe we can address very smartly, since we have enough
time to plan. My company is working in the domain of Wireless
Network/Internet, so getting a dedicated high speed Fiber connectivity for
the event won't be a challenge.

> >> We have good volunteer numbers in Pune and Mumbai combined, for on the
> >> ground support before the event (if it does happen). Also, Mumbai has
> >> many
> >> hotels to accommodate a large contingent and the IIT campus is large
> >> enough
> >> to accommodate multiple parallel tracks. Plus, we have many good
> >> sightseeing places nearby the city.
> >
> > Indeed. I'll be happy to facilitate and participate.
> >
> > Kumar
> > --
> > Kumar Appaiah
> >

> We would be counting on you Kumar as well as people from IIT-B, people
> from Mumbai LUG for your co-operation in making this a reality but
> first we would need to do whole lot of  minidebconfs to increase the
> bench-strength and making people more aware about Debian  and free
> software practices.

I completely agree with you, we will be able to schedule 1-2 MiniDebConf in
Mumbai before 2020. @rigved , @lugmum team, I think we should initialize
this in our next Monthly meeting.

--
Siji Sunny