[ILUG-BOM] Variables used in the RHEL config files and init scripts

Anurag gnurag at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 12:30:29 IST 2018

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 3:37 AM Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you ever been frustrated trying to find *all* the possible variables
> used in the config files and init scripts in a RHEL or derivative
> distribution?
>
> I was working on a RHEL setup to configure a "dummy0" interface with very
> specific requirement: this interface shall *not* be managed by the
> NetworkManager.
>
> The RHEL Networking PDF (official doc) does not mention NM_CONTROLLED!
> After much searching,  I found the answer in this Ars Technica discussion
> forum
> https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=767128
>
> They are all defined in a file that goes by the following name.
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-xxx/sysconfig.txt
> (where xxx is the initscripts version installed by the distro)

+1, /usr/share/doc is the best place to find sample configs and docs for
the package installed on the system.

Specifically to NM_CONTROLLED option, the RHEL 7 migration notes [1] say
this:

<quote>
NetworkManager now non-destructively takes ownership of interfaces that it
can natively configure, such as Ethernet, InfiniBand, Bridge, Bond, VLAN,
and Team interfaces. If these interfaces are configured before
NetworkManager starts or restarts, the previously configured connections
are not interrupted. This means that the NM_CONTROLLED option is no longer
required.
</quote>

[1]
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/migration_planning_guide/sect-red_hat_enterprise_linux-migration_planning_guide-networking#sect-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_Planning_Guide-Networking-Updates_to_NetworkManager

Anurag